Many home owners simply don't understand when they need a dehumidifier versus a humidifier. It's easy to become confused, especially when units look so similar. It's important to understand that these machines perform two very different duties. While a humidifier will add moisture to the air inside of your home, a dehumidifier will remove it. In order to help you understand which unit you need, here are five signs it's time to dehumidify your home:
1.You Have Allergies
If you experience allergies year round, there's a very good chance that you are allergic to more than just pollen. Common allergens include dust mites, mold and fungus. All of these things thrive in a warm, moist environment. By running dehumidifier in your home, you'll remove the moisture and the life-source of these allergens. You may be surprised at how quickly you experience relief just by running a small dehumidifier in your home.
2.Something Smells Musty
When you walk into your home, does something smell a bit off? When you open your coat closet, do you smell a musty odor? This smell is often caused by excessive moisture inside of your carpet, upholstery and walls. By installing a dehumidifier, you can remove this moisture and the source of the bad smell. Consider running the unit in areas of your home where moisture is more prevalent, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
3.Your Windows Stick
Have you ever noticed that your doors and windows close easily in the winter and with more difficulty in the summer? This is because wood can swell in the moist heat of the summer months. If you are noticing that your windows and doors are sticking, it could be due to excess moisture in your home. By running a dehumidifier, you will remove this moisture and prevent further damage to your walls, jams and woodwork.
4.Mold is Growing
If you've noticed mold growing in your home, you need to purchase a dehumidifier immediately. Mold can be incredibly difficult to get rid of, costing you thousands of dollars for professional removal. Look for mold in your shower stall, underneath your sinks, in your cupboards and along your ceilings; all common places for mold growth. Mold can aggravate allergies, make it difficult to breathe and, in the worst of cases, prove deadly.
5.Insects are Moving In
While it's normal to see a spider or two running across your floor, it's not normal for your home to be taken over by insects, especially in the dead of winter. If you are noticing what you think are an abnormal number of scurrying bugs inside of your home, it may be because your house is too moist and, therefore, inviting. A dehumidifier will remove the moisture from your home, making it less hospitable to things that creep and crawl.
Excess moisture in your home can cause a myriad of problems. If you notice any of the five things listed above, you will find great benefit in running a dehumidifier. When shopping for a unit, be sure that you are looking at those that are rated for the space that you have, come with a warranty and are easy to operate; a customer service representative should be able to answer any questions that you may have.